The Healing Power of Horses
Inspiration Ranch provides unparalleled personal advancements and results for people with special needs. While riding, the client must repeatedly respond to the horses rhythmic movement, which stimulates the muscular and nervous system; promoting change in the riders strength, balance, coordination, flexibility, social, behavioral responsiveness, sensory processing and confidence.
Horses are known for their unique way of breaking down sensitive barriers and establishing profound connections with humans. Their keen senses are known to mirror the moods and emotions of those around them creating awareness and deeper levels of interaction. This is especially true for those challenged with limited motor skills and cognitive abilities, or for those needing a unique way to heal. Equine assisted activities and therapy provide the tools for special individuals to achieve emotional, behavioral and physical milestones that may otherwise be unattainable.
The programs at Inspiration Ranch are led by Path International Registered Instructors and are supported by a team of dedicated volunteers and of course therapy horses. Together, they work to foster confidence and provide an overall sense of accomplishment that encourages higher levels of independence.
Did You Know
- In 2015, Inspiration Ranch provided over 2,200 therapeutic sessions. The goal for 2016 is 2,600 sessions – representing a 20% increase
- 20% of our population is affected by disabilities, which is equivalent to 1.1 million people in the greater Houston area. Approximately 90,000 are children
- Within the five school districts surrounding the ranch, there are over 26,000 special needs children
- There is an 85% divorce rate in families impacted by disabilities
- Volunteers provided over 13,500 service hours as side-walkers, horse-leaders, ground maintenance and special event volunteerism.
- The Board of Directors is committed to never turning anyone away because of finances
- Over 75 scholarships were given through the Ranch’s Without Limits Scholarship Program, which provides financial support to families in need of an hands up to participate
- Participant tuition covers less than 10% of the actual operating cost of the Ranch
- Inspiration Ranch remains focused on meeting the ever increasing need for equine therapy in our community through strategic programs and partnerships